Wednesday 27 August 2014

Coffee and Graduate Students

As I venture deeper into the journey of a graduate student, I find that coffee becomes a part of my life, as much as I don't want to be "addicted" to it. I'm trying to deny the fact that I might be a coffee addict at heart, refraining myself from overdosing since the forensics background I've accumulated reminds me anything too much isn't good for me. So far, I'm fully aware that any caffeinated drinks from Nescafe would cause me drowsiness. I suspected the case when I tried staying awake to study using Nescafe Gold (yes, I only go for the best stuffs) but I ended up sleeping for hours after that cuppa. It didn't help me to study more, but my body was indeed well-rested due to the blood-pumping caffeine.

When I speak to my graduate friends, I noted that almost everybody (shy those who are allergic to caffeine, and those who drink tea like water) would have at least a cuppa a day. Some would be at the extreme of consuming more than 6 cups daily. On average, about 2 to 3 cups. As for myself, it is once a day, in the morning when I have my breakfast, usually around 9ish. Today I woke up late so I got my brunch by 11am. According to this website, the best time to drink a cuppa coffee is between 9.30 am to 11.30 am.

The initial realisation came when I stopped by Costa in Grand Arcade daily to grab a cuppa on my way to the department. I tried to be more environment-friendly, so I bought its travelling mug. Uh-huh... it stuck with me for two weeks, and I noticed how my purse bled to death. I am but a poor scholar, honestly. Money should be spent on real, filling food. So I had to think of alternative... While Costa can be my choice when I hang out with friends. Always - the hazelnut flavour!!!!

Source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/CostaLogo.svg/1024px-CostaLogo.svg.png
I was deciding between a coffee maker and a cafetiere. I chose the latter, not because I couldn't afford it but due to the fact I don't have much table top space to keep it. A stainless steel Grunwerg 3-cup cafetiere quenched my thirst of brewed coffee. Adorably shiny little thing that my heart fell in love with. Got it from Amazon using the prize money I got for being the kid with best performance of my MSc. degree. Wheeeee!!! Now I can have non-instant coffee at home. Whenever I want to.

Source: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21ovJ5WYYcL.jpg
Initially I stick to ground coffee from Costa, as much as I like it fresh, it's not the same as what I get in the shop. Of course, no frothy milk to accompany with it does make a difference. That's when I re-discovered my love for OldTown White Coffee (hazelnut flavour) from my home country, Malaysia. Yet, a pack only consists of 15 sachets, and I died when I found I was left with one sachet the first time my ex-student brought my "supply" from home. Thank God for my kind-hearted best friend who came back for his graduation, I received two packets. And from a friend who finished her Mphil, I inherited her leftovers. Yippee!! That will keep me going for a while. But I need to look for alternatives...

Source: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/669333435/Malaysia-import-old-town-Old-Town-White-Coffee-Hazelnut-flavor-instant-3-in-1-600g-horse.jpg
One random shopping day at Tesco Extra in Bar Hill, I saw this lovely red packet of ground coffee with the label "Hazelnut". I don't know much about this Edinburgh Tea and Coffee Co. but I supposed the price reflects on its quality. It was priced at £3.70. Not expensive, but higher priced than others. I finally made the first cup today. Completely took my heart away. I've found the non-sugary alternative to my OldTown White Coffee.

Source: http://coffee4.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Edinburgh-Tea-and-Coffee-Company-Hazelnut-Ground-Coffee-227-g-Pack-of-3-0.jpg
So, I shall continue my work now. Till then... Have a cuppa!


P/S: Many would agree with me, right??

Source: http://phdcomics.com/comics/archive/phd070513s.gif



1 comment:

Positive suggestions help to keep me going. Thanks! :)