Monday 18 May 2015

Festival of Plants 2015

Yet another of my free writing :)

I went to the Festival of Plants in Cambridge University Botanic Garden last Saturday. A nice sunny day to be out there among the beautiful spring plants. Our first stop was the canopy where there were stalls with interactive games and explanations provided by volunteers of Festival of Plants. One thing which attracted me was the booth on algae and biofuel. I work with Chlamydomonas reinhardtii, one of the few algae studied widely on its ability to produce biofuel, and I do like the idea of this animal-like single-cell lower plant being such a useful tool to study various aspects. We created a furry cartoonish ChlamyBaby (look below). There are some other activities which I didn't stay long enough to gather info. However, it seemed to me that people were enjoying themselves. We passed by the glasshouse and there was an interactive concert going on. Nice vocal for sure!

There were tours around the gardens, according to my friend, it was very beneficial as the guide told the stories of many of the trees around the garden. There was a talk tent where various talks were conducted. Apparently they were good too.

ChlamyBaby wading on the grass


I managed to capture a few nice shots - thanks to the lovely afternoon sun!

Moor hen feeding her chick
Colourful tulips

Peony?

Iris
I had a great time that afternoon. Discovered it was my friend's birthday, which was nice. Since the weather was great! :)

2 comments:

  1. You don't seem to be on google!
    If you login & goto webmaster tools you can tell them about the blog..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sorry for delay in replying your comment. Well, I am on Google!! I searched myself and found this piece of article! :) Cheers!

      Delete

Positive suggestions help to keep me going. Thanks! :)