Thursday 8 May 2014

Upgrade Exam


I'm changing the format of this blog. My FB chronicles which I've posted here until October last year will still be available (wade through the entries please) but I will focus more on my PhD progress in this blog. After all, this is the blog of a wimpy scientist (aka me).

I saw myself as an infant of my field the day I stepped into the office and met my supervisor. After the 4 months of swimming in the sea of overwhelmed emotions (both at work and in my personal life), I've finally moved on from infancy to maybe kindergarten stage when I'm sort of done attending the important Absolute Beginners classes for most of the programming tools I need.

Today, I passed a little benchmark. I finally able to run some basic analyses using the example dataset on ADMIXTURE. Strictly following the examples given, and my brain would crash when it doesn't work. I guess I'm officially in Primary 1 right now. Hopefully they would make more sense as I explore this tomorrow. It is already Friday!!

I wonder how long I will stay in Primary 1? A week? Hopefully shorter than that, but I need to fully understand what I am doing with ADMIXTURE before I proceed to analyse the data provided for the papers I'm supposed to "emulate".

This is my very first barplot of Q estimates using R after running ADMIXTURE. Very raw and inadequate. Yet, a benchmark!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive suggestions help to keep me going. Thanks! :)